Thursday, March 26, 2009

Our Choice Blog

We get to choose what this blog is about. I decided to write about my March Break.
Becuase I was not allowed to go to Mexico on a Mission Trip with everyone else and was made to stay at home I was really angry. I was mad at my parents for not letting me go for the first two days of March Break, and didnt really want to do anything. I thought about it a lot though. I could either sit around at home and sulk, or go out and do something here in my own community. So I signed up with my youth group and worked for three days doing different things.
On Tuesday, we ran a Carnival for the kids in town (who live in the apartments by the school), we've done it before and it was succesful. We had three children show up that day, but the effort we put into it was worth ot for the three kids. They had so much fun, and stayed for over an hour, doing the same things over and over, and they loved it.
On Wednesday, we helped out with a day camp, and there were two children. They were mentally handicaped, so it was a challenge, but they had a lot of fun. We played games, like hide and seek (the highlight of the day for them), went swimming, had a pizza party and watched Wall-E.
On Thursday we ran a soup kitchen at the Annex (right beside the Baptist church). We arrived at the church early that day, planned what we were going to serve, and went out and bought the ingrediants and made it all up. When it came time for the people to come, six showed up and stayed for a long time. It was a lot of fun, and the food was really good!
I think I learned (mainly) two things (out of many), and the first one was that I dont have to leave the country to help people, and its just as important to reach out to your community.
I also learned that you cant always measure success on numbers. Our society always does that. If I was to tell people that we only had three people show up to the Carnival, most people would loook at that as a failure, or that it wasnt worth the effort. I learned that it was totally worth the effort for those three kids, they had fun, and left the carnival happy. They were worth the hours of planning and setting up.

1 comment: